The importance of self-care has been touted time and time again. Self-care for the stay at home mom. Self-care for the working mom. Self-care for the independent woman. Self-care during maturity. I could go on and on. While self-care is important, much has been left unsaid, so much so that the mere thought of self-care can often leave us overwhelmed and stressed… you know, the exact opposite of what we’re trying to achieve here.
How many of you think of lengthy spa days, relaxing by the lake or a nice vacation as self-care? (Raises hand). While these are wonderful ways to fill your proverbial bucket, unwind and destress, that’s not what we’re here to discuss. Let’s be honest, the planning and time involved in planning that much needed vacation can be enough to push anyone over the edge! While I love a great trip, that is NOT what I’m talking about here. What I’m talking about are the little routines that become habits of your life. The simple ways to destress and care for yourself. Read on to find your favorite new healthy self-care habit.
- Nature walks. I love being outside and in nature and for good reason, it is relaxing and incredibly grounding. A quick 10-15 minute walk amongst your favorite scenery is enough to change your perspective and greatly lower stress.
- Mediate. I know, I know, another post about meditation. It gets a lot of hype, but for good reason! While it may seem intimidating to jump into a new meditation practice, you really only need 5-10 minutes a day. Guided meditations are a great way to start or for you with overactive minds. Your favorite healing practitioner or Youtube are good resources.
- Breathe. When stress is getting you, taking a moment to hit the pause button, breathe, come into your body and the present moment is enough to shift anyone’s perspective. Highly recommended for parents!
- That thing you love. You know what it is, that thing that you love that makes you feel so free. For some it’s music, dancing, crafting, gardening or painting. Find little ways to incorporate it into your daily life.
- Water. Drink lots of it to keep yourself healthy. Also, a relaxing bath with some salts or herbs added in, a nice, long shower are especially nice, extra so for those of you with water signs in your astrological charts.
- Talk or journal. Some like to talk and if you have that support and confident, by all means go for it. Some prefer to journal. Whichever your preference, make time to clear that monkey mind and get it out.
- To-do lists. This may not seem like self-care, but if you’re always running around not remembering what needs to be done next and/or forgetting important things, this is great self-care. Getting things down on paper, allows you to stop focusing on them, and to be more present.
- Listen to yo self! If you’re feeling like you’re craving a big ole yummy salad, go for it! If you’re craving rest, listen. You know your body best, and will continue to strengthen that the more you listen to that nagging voice, also called intuition. 🙂
There you have it, some of my favorite ways of self-care to be done daily. While this certainly isn’t an end-all list, it’s a great start! Respond in the comments your favorite ways to show yourself some lovin’ care and if you liked this, please share with your friends.